10.22.2010

What do I do?



This is Mango, Toby's parakeet. She has been laying eggs all summer. Usually, they get abandoned on the floor of their cage, and we toss them. We tried putting a nesting box in the cage with the birds, but she wouldn't use it and kept laying her eggs on the floor. This time, she has decided to sit on the most recent ones. (There are three.) If you look closely under her wing you can catch a glimpse of one. She sits here on her eggs all day. I guess she is serious this time.

But what am I going to do if they actually hatch? I don't really want three more birds. We'd have to get a much bigger (very expensive) cage. They are rather loud, and somewhat messy. And did you know that parakeets live for 20 years?! I had no clue about their life expectancy when we got them for Toby one Christmas. I guess I could save them for his children. They'd still have a good ten years left in them. Still. As cool as little parakeets would be to watch hatch and grow, I'm kind of hoping that this little experiment doesn't really happen. Or maybe someone wants some baby parakeets? I'll keep you updated.

3 comments:

  1. Bonny had a parakeet when we lived on Lime - and he moved with us to Primose. But when someone was house-sitting for us one summer, the cage got knocked over and he escaped. The man bought another bird and thought we wouldn't notice!! We loved that bird too, but one day our cat came in and knocked over the cage and that bird escaped too. But no one replaced it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the moral of this story is to go out of town and have a slightly unreliable person house sit your house and pets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 20 years? We took China, that's enough.......

    ReplyDelete

share your two cents