5.24.2009

Garden update

Parts of my garden are doing great:
More lettuce and spinach than I know what to do with. Starting to get some beets, squash and zucchini. I even have a few tomatoes and peppers that are starting. Only one pumpkin so far though.
The peas were so-so. I didn't get them staked early enough. And there just were that many. But the herbs are flourishing. And I hope the beans start producing.

A few pest problems:
I ordered some ladybugs to deal with the aphids, but I'm not sure that was entirely successful. The pill bugs are doing their part of the damage too. And now the pumpkin, cucumber and melon plants are yellowing and dying. And though there are plenty of blossoms, most of them shrivel up and die. I don't think they are getting pollinated. I haven't seen too many bees. If I had more yard I'd get my own hive.

Other parts have failed miserably.
My broccoli grew great foliage - but NO broccoli. The melons probably won't make it either. As soon as I get a composting bin, I'll replace the spent stuff with flowers.

I guess the first year is always an experiment. I'll try again in the fall.

1 comment:

  1. Let me know if you figure out the broccoli thing. We have tried it twice, only to have thriving broccoli plants with no produce. I chalked it up to another Texas gardening failure. Right now our we have tons of green tomatoes that I'm hoping turn red sometime soon. Cucumbers and peppers look good, but everything else wants to wither and die. And it's only May!

    ReplyDelete

share your two cents