7.04.2009

Becoming the Bionic Woman

I had surgery on Thursday. Things went well. I am back home. This ice pack is my best friend for the next few days.

Thanks to Nate for taking me on a great date the day before the surgery: good food, temple, more good food, a double feature, and a super nice hotel. Thanks especially for staying with me in the hospital on that very hard "bed" to help me.Thanks to Amy for taking care of us this past week and for the next few weeks while I recover. She has been a life saver. I am just wiped out and sore. I know she is tired too. 8 kids and all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, referreeing, and bedtimes for everyone is a daunting task. Amy does it with a smile! I'm very grateful she came.

I am now the proud owner of a bionic artificial titanium jaw joint (just kidding on the bionic part). Lots less pain than the last time (I was very worried about it - I don't deal well with pain). The numbness is nearly gone. But I still have a bunch of swelling. I always wondered what I would look like with a round face. My smile doesn't work too well because of the swelling.The nerve at the top of my face is still asleep, so I can't close my eye on my own or lift my eyebrows/forehead: Looks like BOTOX gone wrong. I really hope that is temporary.
There are incisions next to my ear, under my neck and on my belly (fat graph for the joint). The scars will be very hidden when they heal. The other marks are pen marks. Purple ink on my jaw to show them where the bone was. Hurts to much to scrub off so I'll just leave it for now.

That's all for now. I've got to go do my jaw re-hab exercises.

11 comments:

  1. Remembering last time, that actually doesn't look too bad. Glad things went well. Hope you heal fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope things keep getting better and better!!

    I'm still a friend of the ice pack and it's been almost 3 months!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Moly! Betsy - if you need anything, holler! I'm only a hop, skip, and a jump away. Hope it heals fast for you. Bachelorette at your house tomorrow, right? (kidding!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. O, girl...I'm not sure who this Amy chick is...but if she needs any help PlEASE CALL - no joke, I only have two extra and I was a care giver once for a friend and she had 3, my 1 and no one would "help" because I was the help>>>but I had never taken care of 4 children by myself so I needed help:-) I can go to the store (love Target) or just help her drive everyone somewhere (Chickfla comes to mind). I hope you heal quickly. I don't really know what issues you have, maybe I don't read the blog well enough - yet I know what Lisa went through and don't wish this on anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah for Amy! Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are feeling better. We are thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY! I'm so glad that it wasn't as bad as before! I'll call you tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SO GLAD to hear it hasn't been as bad as last time. I was going to call but didn't know when or if you'd feel up to it. Would it be okay if I call on Monday? Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, looks painful. I'm excited to see if it is worth it, though. I've had the worst jaw trouble ever since I got braces. Sometimes it locks, and it really hurts!

    Keep the ice coming, and patience, my dear, patience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. betsy, poor betsy, i was hiding in california, but i commented on your blog because i love you

    ReplyDelete
  11. You poor, poor thing- so sorry you have had to go through this craziness. You are one strong lady and I admire you :)

    ReplyDelete

share your two cents