7.11.2009

Dr. Seuss Baby Shower

Last month I threw a baby shower for my friend, Christy, who is having her SIXTH baby! (It's been ten years since her last boy, 4 since her last baby, and she needed new stuff.) And I needed an excuse to do this Dr. Seuss party! I was inspired by this party.
I printed the invitations like photos and picked them up at my local walgreens. 50 invites for under $10. Nice way to save money and time.
When each guest arrived, she signed a Dr. Seuss book for Christy to keep as a remembrance.I made some red fish and blue fish. I printed a copy in black and white and tiled it to make it bigger. Then transferred the image to poster board. I had some smaller ones in red yellow and blue and put them on the wall. (forgot to grab a picture of that.)
I made a garland of book covers and printed up some trivia about Dr. Seuss and posted them throughout the room.
My friend is the elementary school librarian and she loaned me extra Dr. Seuss books and all her stuffed animals to use as decorations. In the little buckets (courtesy of Target's dollar bin) are red, white and turquoise Jelly-Bellys. There are also blue gummy sharks for "blue fish" and more red swedish fish in the bowl.
I spread around some paper circles on the tables.
Hazel and all her little friends (about 7 little girls who's moms were attending the shower) ate most of the gummies and drank lots of blue juice. They had very blue tongues.
This is the Lorax courtesy of Family Fun and some pink clover flower pencils (held by Horton) for the shower games. We played gift Bingo (cover a square for each item Christy opens: bib, blanket, lotion, etc.) My friend Jeri made the cards for that, (which I didn't get a picture of, but I think she found online) and a fill-in-the-blank Dr. Seuss Book titles game.
(I took down some of the decorations to make it a bit harder to remember.) The winner knew 14 of the 22 titles. Dr. Seuss wrote a lot of books. How many can you guess?

I made truffula trees: They were pieces of red, turquoise, and pink boas glued onto the tops of pixie sticks. Soooo cute. Even striped like truffula trees!

I found some great Dr. Seuss-esque flowers at Whole Foods. I forget what they are called, but I thought they were pretty cool.
We had lots of good food in a red, white and blue theme. (It was close to the Fourth, so that was easy to do.) Watermelon, red and blue fish shaped sugar cookies, chocolate dipped strawberries, cheese and crackers, bread and spinach dip, broccoli cheese bread (not red or blue but requested by my friend). Keri found those cute plates at Target. There was red and blue punch (found the syrup for the blue drink in the liquor section at target : non-alchololic) and mixed with sprite. But I should have just used blue kool-aid or gatorade, it tasted the same and would have been cheaper. I found these beverage dispensers at Target too. But the spigots kept leaking so I returned them (I had a very sticky floor).


Thank you favors were red (swedish fish).
These are the different images I did. (Click to see them better.)




I had a ton more ideas, but ran out of time to do them. Maybe next time. This party was lots of fun to do and we had a great time. Thanks to Keri, Jeri, Katie, Laura, Kimberly, and my children for helping out. Also thanks to Christy for having a baby to celebrate!

6 comments:

  1. Raises the concept of a "theme" party to a whole new level!!

    Looks like lots of fun - not your typical blue and pink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I'll have to file this one away for future parties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the shower :) It was great fun and you did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing my sister's baby shower in Feb. and her theme is going to be Doctor Seuss! These idea's a FABULOUS! I'm going to have to use a few of them!!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. No link for the game. But there is a link for the trivia above. And you can save the picture and print it out. Or just copy it and type up a new one. Good luck!

      Delete

share your two cents