12.20.2009

Christmas Caroling at the Cemetery


December 1986

One of my favorite Christmas memories from my childhood was going to the cemetery to visit family graves.  We would bring a wreath to lay on Grandma's grave.  Typically it was snowing, cold, and nearing dark (apparently not these two years pictured).  Dad had Erika and I play our flute and violin while the rest of the family sang carols.  The cold silver flute made my lips and fingers so cold.  I would only be able to play a couple songs before they became too numb to keep up with the carolers.  Our toes would be freezing because we were standing in 8 inches of snow (usually wearing dress shoes because we were on our way to a party in our fancy Christmas clothes.)
 
December 199?  not sure of the exact year...anyone?

But I am glad that Dad insisted that we keep up this tradition. We've only been in Utah a few times at Christmas since moving away 14 years ago and I miss being able to visit Grandma and Grandpa at the cemetery at this time of year.

2 comments:

  1. We certainly miss doing this as well. Next year we can all go and Aspen and Toby can play as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice tradition. We often went on Sundays to visit my Grandma Clayton's grave - it's a good way to connect with the past.

    ReplyDelete

share your two cents