5.13.2007

Texas Tradition

In Texas they have these funnel cakes. They are basically deep fried pancake batter with tons of powdered sugar. We've never had any urging what-so-ever to eat one of these things until Friday. You can always find funnel cakes at any kind of fair, carnival, game, rodeo, or any other public gathering. Well, we went to a Round Rock Express baseball game the other night and the funnel cake guy was walking up and down the aisles (just like the hotdog and beer and snocone vendors) and Nate got to feeling like he needed to experience this Texas tradition. (I felt no such longings and am generally repulsed by these deep-fried concoctions.) I at least talked him into a funnel cake fresh from the oil...
He really liked it...so did Aspen. I refrained. I'm sure that my digestive system thanked me.

5 comments:

  1. Maybe one of my down falls in life is I have tried one of these, at a very very young age...I've lived in Texas all but 4 years of my life, so that could explain how it just doesn't seam American (or Texan) to not have eaten one.

    Who is Copper? I had a dog named Copper, he was my friend Christmas present from Jamie>>>sure miss that dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that I did try one of these after only a few weeks in TX, and I liked it. Of course I do have a rather large sweet tooth!

    I have also tried it with apples (like apple pie filling) on it. Also good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funnel cakes = warm deep fried goodness.

    I did not feel at all disgusted after eating it.

    Mmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . funnel cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are pretty good. We were at Disney World and had one covered in ice cream and the works. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. michelle-
    Copper is my Mom's family dog. They ae moving so she cme to stay with us.

    ReplyDelete

share your two cents