11.14.2008

Perfect Camping Weather

Fall is the best time to go camping here in central Texas. We found a new place to go (read: was the only place with space left on short notice) and loaded everyone up last week. Lake Somerville was only about an hour away.There was a burn ban so we couldn't have a fire. But we made do with the BBQ pit and charcoal and still had some great tortilla soup and made s'mores.
Then, because of the lack of a fire, we had fun with the camera.
Isaac - Betsy
Aspen
Toby: doing the YMCAHazel
Nate
We woke up to gunshots about a half hour before first light. We hadn't realized that it is duck hunting season. We were camped right next to the lake - where there are lots of ducks apparently. It was a bit chilly (perfect) so the kids stayed snuggle in bed waiting for breakfast.
I didn't pack enough lighter fluid for the charcoal. We used it all for dinner the night before. I did remember the white gas for the lantern, so we used that to light the charcoal. Note: white gas gets those coals hot and ready much faster than lighter fluid.
I finally perfected a great buttermilk pancake recipe. So I shook up the mix in this handy container. About 10 minutes later, the lid blasted off. The extra baking powder and lemon juice were doing their job to make fluffy pancakes. Nate took the older kids on a big hike: ended up going about 10 miles. That would have been too much for Hazel. So we spent the day together:

We walked out to the lake (severe drought has dried it up a lot. It's supposed to be where Hazel is standing. The shore had receded about 300 yards (shallow shoreline). One of the other lakes in the park had dried up completely.)Hazel climbed on the rocks and jumped off, everyone single one she could find.Climbed trees, went on small walks, and collected leaves.Some crafts. I actually enjoyed the afternoon with Hazel. It's not often that I get to spend time with her with nothing else to do but take it easy. We both even got in a good nap in the sunshine! The rest of the family finally made it back. We packed up and headed for home. I think we're doing this again during Christmas break.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun. It has been PERFECT camping weather. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK 2 things.

    1. PLEASE teach me how to do that cool camera thing! That looks way fun.
    2. Please send me the recipe for your fluffy pancakes - they sound yummy!

    We need to go camping more - it looks like fun.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. We took our kids camping a number of times - but I wish now we'd done it more - because our kids now pretty much don't like camping!

    I like it - and we talk about going all the time - but don't.

    Looks like a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this posting...brought back fun memories of camping with my family when I was little :) I will have to make sure to take my little family camping someday. Looks like y'all had a blast! Of course, I love the pictures as usual. Do you ever take family pics for people? If so, what do you charge?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It helps to read the posts not just look at them, at first I thought you had taken matching clothes for the kids, to my surprise after reading I realized that you used the slow shutter on the camera. Also it not only looks like you perfected the recipe for the pancakes, but figured out how to make a cool camping bomb, boys love that stuff, sounds like a lot of fun, wish we could go camping this time of year here, but it is a bit cold!

    ReplyDelete

share your two cents