1.05.2009

New Year's Resolution

So I make new resolutions just about every week, not just on New Year's. It becomes more of a to do list than a self improvement plan and those resolutions never seem to get checked off. It's a disease really. So this year, I am just going to work on only one thing, well, maybe two. But they kind of go together.

This year I am going to LIVE my life and just BE. I'm tired of my life living me instead of me living my life. I want to do things on purpose instead of stumbling through the experiences that are thrown at me. I don't want to wait to do and be the things/person I want. I'd rather not stress about what I am suppose to do or not do (read: dieting - just to be thin, working out - just to be thin, cleaning house, getting the oil changed, going to bed on time, getting up early, etc.)
I want to BE all the things I want to be, not just work at them.

So, instead of planning and list making and wallowing in guilt, I am going to DO and BE and LIVE in the present. Instead of dieting, exercising, or cleaning or feeling guilty because I am avoiding those things, I'm changing my focus. I'm going to indulge, sometimes - sugar cookies are just as much a requirement in my diet as salad; roller skate with my kids instead of running on the treadmill; play Rock Band with the family instead of doing laundry; snuggle with my baby on the couch instead of doing the dishes; stay up late talking to my kids after I've put them in bed; read late into the night when I've got a really good book; and, occasionally, get up to see the sun rise (that's not too hard right now:) the sun comes up at 7am - I can do 7 am.

All the work will still be there but the moments to really LIVE and enjoy my life are fleeting and will be gone before I know it. The time goes by faster every year. I don't want to miss mine because it wasn't on my to-do list. So here's to BEING and LIVING in 2009.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds great! Pretty soon everyone will read it and think they don't need a list now......That's what I'm thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen. sounds like a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am now abandoning my list and adopting your policy. I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making lists is okay - it's being driven by them that gets in the way of life.

    Believe it or not, your life is less busy now than it will be in 10 years - I'm not sure when it is going to slow down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this post a lot! I often have a conversation with myself and my friends about feeling guilty. I don't like the feeling of guilt pushing me to do or not to do certain things. I like to decide, and then act on that decision. I think Mom's, and especially Mormon Mom's make guilt a part of daily life. It's not healthy.

    I planned on doing a post about this very subject, so if you don't mind, I'll put a link over to this post too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go girl. I concur. I'm going to follow your example. (I still want to be skinny though - LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you the best. I know that you will be successful in any endeavor that you choose. Living and being (happy) is the sole purpose of our existence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a dead ringer for your mother in this picture!!

    (Which is a compliment!!)

    ReplyDelete

share your two cents