9.07.2009

Hanging out at the Cemetery

I like cemeteries. SLC cemetery is a cool place. My Dad would have Erika and I bring our flute and violin and we sing songs up there. Kind of a little wacky. Other people just bring flowers - we serenaded and caroled all the residents. (Hope they liked it.)
While we were in Utah, we stayed with Hannah and Maddy at their cute apartment in the Avenues in Salt Lake. One Sunday we walked up to the cemetery to visit my Grandma and Grandpa Kerksiek in the cemetery. Dad always told us that we needed to remember our family members that have gone before us. So we went to sit on their bench and look out at the beautiful view. I wanted to find some of the other relatives so we started looking around. We didn't ever find them. (I guess my memory isn't as accurate as I thought.) But while we walked back down through the cemetery to the park we found other interesting graves.
President Kimball is buried in the same block as Grandma and Grandpa. Another prophet is buried in the next block over. We found President David O. McKay's grave as we walked out.There were lots of interesting names on the headstones as well. (This part of the cemetery is pretty old.) This was my favorite.

2 comments:

  1. We often went for Sunday drives and visited the cemetery where Grandma Agnes was buried. I was always intrigued by the other headstones - especially the ones with photographs on them.

    I hadn't been there in years when Grandma Connie died and her service was there. I was amazed at how very different it was from my memories.

    Singing and playing the flute there sounds like a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you telling me about the playing music at the cemetery thing before- yes, it is a bit "unique"...

    A cool idea for ya the next time you go to a cemetery is to take large paper and crayons and do grave markings/rubbings...my parents did this of some relatives when visiting out of state somewhere and they came out really cool.

    ReplyDelete

share your two cents