6.29.2007

I needed a change...

From the time that I turned 17, until Nate and I moved to Austin 7 years ago (that would be 11 years, I know...my brain had to work to do that math too -- it is very late) I, and then with Nate, moved 2 or three times a year. That makes 21 different addresses (about 2/3 of which involved changing states or countries) in 11 years. Since moving to Austin we have only had 3 addresses. We lived in Taylor the longest (4 years) before we moved to our current house. We have lived here nearly 3 years now. I've been complaining to Nate for the last few months that it is time to move again...I need a change. Nate volunteered to get me DirecTV. I needed a real change in my environment. Since moving doesn't fit our circumstances right now, I decided to do some changing to our current abode. The house didn't really feel like it belonged to me (and technically it still doesn't - the bank owns it). But since Nate was going to be out of town for 4 days, I decided to do a little painting project. I had originally planned to do twice as much (8 rooms), but of course my plans are always a little grandiose. But I did get quite a change going. So here we go!

The builder painted every wall and ceiling in the house the same light cocoa brown color. I personally hate the color. (Although, my neighbors all love it. They all have white walls, for which I would gladly trade any day.) So in order to paint the walls, I also had to paint the ceilings...which added a lot of work. But it was worth it. I think my house is more me and, since I used actual scrubbable paint (I hate that builders use that matte, flat, very unforgiving, unscrubbable paint), it is easier to keep clean!


Room #1: Master Bath

Before:


After:



I chose a dark charcoal gray for the bath and a medium gray for the commode.


Room #2 The hallway


Before:

After:


I love this color. I first saw it at Jake and Amy's house, so I had to use it in my house too. It is called Tide Pools by Behr paints.

Room #3 The downstairs bath



Before:



After:


This color was actually leftover from painting Hazel's room before she was born. I painted one wall of the room and then decided it was too light a color. But it is nice here.

Room #4 Isaac's Room

This room used to be Hazel's nursery, so it is kind of a baby turquoise blue. Isaac moved into it and so we painted it a more Isaac color of Orange (one of my favorite colors as well).

Before:


After:


I really like how everything turned out. So now the plan is to tackle a room a week until I've painted every room and closet in the house!! If nothing comes up, I should be done by the end of October! I just really needed a change.

12 comments:

  1. I'm loving it! Definitely more YOU now. I'm assuming this is your "project" you were working on this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to attempt the family room? Can I watch you do that? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. good job! i am impressed with your drive.

    love the orange too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good. I figured I'd paint the outside of the house while Vickie was gone (as in pay someone ELSE to actually do the painting)..........

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your colors! Especially Isacc's room! Way to go!

    Did Nate like it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes isaac's is my fav as well. but the fabulous gray for your bathroom turned out as well

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, this was my "project" while Nate was gone. And yes, Nate liked the colors. Although I think he wondered a little about the orange. But I love the orange. It is such a happy, vibrant color.

    The gray turned out good too. But it left TONS of dark gray paint splatter dots on the rest of the white sink, tub, shower, baseboards, tile, etc. So I still have to go back and scrape them off and paint the baseboards. The only thing worse than baseboards, is painting baseboards next to carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I myself am an orange lover ...hende the reason my bathroom is orange. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I could feel the motivation out here! It really look sgreat.
    So you have enough rooms and closets to keep you going until October? Good luck...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, busy busy! I'm impressed with the motivation. I love the orange, and the gray. I never would have thought gray would look so nice. You have good color taste.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks even better in person!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great - I'm not much of a painter - when we painted our house in Centerville, Harry had me paint in side the closets!

    Since then we've paid other people to paint!

    But I want to redo my sewing room - I may try - if I'm ever home long enough!

    Karl's here - maybe I should recruit him!

    ReplyDelete

share your two cents