4.02.2009

Betsy's Diner

I really wanted to do a prank for April Fool's Day. But I'm not great at thinking up pranks. Instead, I created my own dinner menu for a mystery restaurant.
On the menu, there are only numbers. Circle 5 on the left, 8 on the right. No words, just numbers.Then you wait and see what you get. The numbers corresponded to my list of plates, cups, utensils, and food. I had my list in alphabetical order to mix it up. My geeky boys (and husband) picked their numbers by choosing a pattern: prime numbers, fibonacci numbers, or some other mathematical thing. Hazel circled everything.

Some diners got plates, some got cookie sheets, racks, or cutting boards, or some combination thereof.Some got a drinking glass, some measuring cups or jars.And some got utensils, others got oversized eating implements, or they nothing and had to use their fingers of just lean over and eat off the plate/cookie sheet!Then for the food:

Not everyone got all the parts of the dinner. Only a couple people got dessert. We had fajitas. Only 2 people got tortillas, some didn't get any chicken. Some people got 2 or 3 drinks, some got none.
Once the food was served, everyone came up with different solutions to their dining challenges: Nate got all the parts for a fajita, but no tortilla. So he made little fajita appetizers. Toby traded the food he didn't like for something he needed. Some just made do.
It was a lot of fun. Very silly. I think we might do this again.

4 comments:

  1. I think this sounds like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds soooo fun! i want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you're GOOD!! So creative and fun for the whole family. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your creativity and the time you take to make neat memories with your family. It is a great example for me to aspire to be like you.

    ReplyDelete

share your two cents