8.07.2009

Road trip treasures

On our way to Idaho, we drove through Rawlins, Wyoming. It's a small town in the middle of nowhere on I-80. Anyway, I remembered that I found a little Thai restaurant there last summer. Since most of road tripping involves fast food/chain restaurant/gas station food, we wanted to stop for lunch somehwere that didn't serve french fries and chicken nuggets.
So we ate lunch at Anong's Thai Cuisine in downtown Rawlins.


As we were leaving, I noticed lots of people walking by with empty bags. Wondering what was going on, we went out and discovered that a parade was coming down the road. Now, my kids have probably only been to 2 parades in their whole life. So we quickly moved our cars off the road and into an alley (we didn't want to be stuck behind a parade) and the kids watched to see what was coming.


Lucky for the kids, they were throwing out candy! So everyone got a few treats.

We saw lots of small town parade sights: fire trucks, ambulances, horses, kids on roller blades and skate boards, classic cars, all the cars that were signed up for the crash derby next week.

We also saw this:


But my favorite was this float: (look close)



Did you know there were festivals celebrating this? Did you notice that the float sign painter can't spell?

4 comments:

  1. This looks like some of the goofy pictures you get in forwards!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe in Rawlins, that's the way you spell Korein. I mean, the sign painter might have just been writing the name correctly, and the original misspelling happened earlier, by someone else?
    It could happen......
    As far as the other part, Pioneer Woman has devoted a number of her entries to this happy activity. I suspect with ranchers, it's a major event, I mean, what else is there to do in Wyoming?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! That last float is so silly- but I am not surprised that such a festival exists- MEN are crazy! ha ha

    ReplyDelete

share your two cents