1.22.2010

15 loads of laundry

Washed in 25 minutes.


My washer broke again. It was broken before Christmas. I was without a washing machine for four weeks. They got it fixed a couple days before Christmas. Then it broke again a week later. Kind neighbors let me do a couple loads when I was desperate for whites or jeans for the kids. But we finally ran out of towels, gym clothes, church and work clothes, and socks. By then we had 15 loads of laundry and I couldn't bring myself to impose on anyone for that. So we found a laundromat. The nearest one is 15 miles from our house!


Kids thought it was very fun to put the quarters and soap into the machines.


We brought a movie to watch on the laptop while we waited (although it wasn't very long).


Everyone chipped in to help.

I decided against spending more than the $25 I had already spent to wash my clothes, and I took everything home wet.  My dryer still works at least.

Fast forward a week.

The repair man came on Tuesday.  It worked fine when he came to check it out. (of course)   So I ran a load after he left.

Still broken.

He can't come back until the 29th.

That will make 2 months without a washer.

Is it a sign?  Maybe I should just get a new one.

Looks like I'll be at the Laundromat again this weekend.

5 comments:

  1. Oh man... The car then the washer machine... not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they really don't make things like they used to. my mom had the same washer and dryer for like 30 years.

    i'm hoping the repair guy isn't costing enormous chunks of change every time he comes because he is so not worth it. not if it keeps breaking down.

    you are way more patient than i am. i think it is a sign to get a nice new one. between hauling 15 loads to the laundromat and changing your own tire a few times, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you need a new one - and it would probably end up being cheaper than $25 trips to the laundromat!!

    I had a sewing machine that was out for 6 months - and when it finally got fixed, it lasted about a week.

    So I bought a new one - 3 years later it's doing fine!

    Machines are definitely not built to last!

    I remember trips to the laundromat with Joan after Donna was born.

    We dried them there too - and bought candy bars at the liquor store next door with the left over change.

    As a 15 year old, I thought it was great fun!!

    Apparently it didn't take much to entertain me then! (I loathe laundromats now though!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The entire first year we were married entailed a weekly trip to the Laundromat. I used to put it in and then go and visit Norma. Then one day we went to get the laundry and it was all stolen except, luckily, our garments. Time to get a new machine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only you could make a laundry mat look so cool in a photograph :)

    That is crazy, but way to get it done and take care of business. Did you buy a new one yet? Or are you waiting for the 29th for repair?

    ReplyDelete

share your two cents