9.26.2006

"Find joy in today's run." --- John Bingham

I have not enjoyed the training I've been doing these last 6 weeks --- until today. Finally, today, I enjoyed myself while running. I usually run in the mornings to take advantage of the slightly cooler (85 degrees as opposed to 97 degrees) temperatures. But that means that I must push my 25 pound baby in a 15+ pound stroller. I thought I was so slow and I was getting discouraged that I wasn't seeing any real progress.

Well, today, I ran after dinner, all by myself! It was so peaceful and enjoyable. I discovered that in the last 6 weeks I have shaved nearly 9 minutes off my 5K time. Each mile I ran today got faster by about 30 seconds. I was able to lose myself in the running and enjoy the beautiful weather, the sunset, and my music. So now, I think I actually like this running thing. I might keep doing it!

I'm excited about running at Lake Tahoe this weekend. It will be fun to see Maddy and Karl (who are running with me) and to enjoy the mountains, the much cooler weather and a weekend just for me. Special thanks to Nate for supporting me and being willing to take on the kids while I am gone. I love you.

Also, an update on the mileage:

Nate: 154.2
Betsy: 175.2

9 comments:

  1. I have been saying that since June. I am so ready for cool weather even Kiev it was warm the day I left it rained. Fall I am ready

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Betsy, you have passed Nate and now he gets to be the one playing catch up! Have fun in Tahoe. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GIRL POWER! You Are The Woman! That's totally awesome Betsy. I've never experienced that kind of enjoyment of running. But then I've run about 174.8 miles less than you have in this contest when you combine my whole life!

    Way proud of you over here in East Mill Creek!
    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Betsy! Good luck in the run this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsy, I've e-mailed my number to you. Maybe I have your address wrong. Which bus are you riding and when? Maybe you can call Bonny and she can pass on my number so we can meet somewhere on Saturday. Here's my e-mail. amyfkreitlein at sbc global dot net

    Great job with your running!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I got your email a couple days ago. I'll give you a call. How do you find out which bus your on?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read over the e-mails which were sent to me. I have a choice between two buses. What time does your race start?

    ReplyDelete
  8. A really good run--where I feel good the whole time, during and after, and don't want to stop--is rare for me. But when it happens it's so fabulous! It's what keeps me running!

    It seems that maybe the key is to train with "drag" (in the form of Hazel) so that when you run alone you can totally fly.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. or - you can train in our canyon. then when you run on flat ground you rip along.

    good luck onthe race.

    ReplyDelete

share your two cents