7.07.2008

Getting there

It took us a good 2 1/2 days to get to South Dakota...I'm kind of a sleepy road tripper. So we took lots of breaks. Here's a rest stop in Nebraska (I think). The kids needed to get some wiggles out.

All of the country that we drove through was beautiful. The fields were green, lots of flowers. I felt like I was out in the middle of no where most of the time, especially in South Dakota. The weather was perfect.
Our first stop was in Wall, South Dakota. Home of the famous Wall Drug Store.
It was a very kitschy place. But the kids enjoyed all the little photo op ops, especially the giant jack-a-lope.
There was a huge animatronic tyrannasaurus rex display that went off every 12 minutes. It scared the heck out of Hazel. But we had to go back to see it twice just for her.
The soda fountain makes awesome milk shakes, so we sampled some of those just before lunch (hey we were on vacation. It's a dairy group food, it counts!) They were very delicious and I highly recommend stopping just to get one.
Before heading out of town, I drove over to see the great icon of americana that is the 80 foot long dinosaur statue. They used it to get people to stop in town back in the day. It was dark when we drove in the night before so I couldn't get a pic then. Hazel was a bit scared of it. But it was pretty cool.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize there were so many things in Wall.

    ReplyDelete

share your two cents