7.08.2008

The long and winding road

We drove a 20 mile dirt road through The Badlands National Park. It was a very scenic drive. We saw some beautiful formations. It rock was a striking contrast to the green prairie on the other side. It reminded me a lot of Bryce Canyon in Utah. Just not as red.
We stopped to see 100's of prairie dogs in Prairie Dog Towne. There were also many bison. It was a scenic drive, but I was very tired of the washboard gravel road. My poor car is still very dusty. We only went through the northern part of the park. But if we went back again, I'd drive down to the other part and do some hiking Next we drove to see Mount Rushmore. It was a pretty drive up into the black hills. The sculptures were cool to see. We hiked a little. It was late in the day and we enjoyed hiking around.
This one is just to prove that I was there, just behind the camera mostly. If we go again, I would stay here longer. There were lots more places to see that would have been fun. Hiking up to the sculptures, the cave that National Treasure was filmed in; a fun town below Mount Rushmore to explore and/or stay in. There was also Crazy Horse Monument, Wind Caves, Custer National Monument, Wounded Knee Museum, Minute Man Missile Silo, and much more. We'll just have to go back again.

1 comment:

  1. I've been in all but 4 of the 50 states...and the Dakota's are two of them. I've seen most of the major "sites" in the US, but not Mt. Rushmore. Your post makes me think i should make it a priority...as long as we're out this way for the next 2 years at least. Thanks for the recommendation! ♥

    ReplyDelete

share your two cents